NFL

Dallas Cowboys Rumors 2017 – Cowboys Franchise Owner Glad Romo Isn’t Playing Elsewhere, Dallas May Add No. 3 QB To Roster?

The Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is glad Tony Romo isn’t headed to other teams. NFL rumors suggests Dallas Cowboys will look into acquiring another quarterback through the draft process.



ADVERTISEMENT

The Dallas Cowboys owner, president, and general manager Jerry Jones on Monday, admitted that he’s indeed glad he won’t have to live with seeing the former franchise quarterback Tony Romo in another team uniform, especially one of a franchise The Star could end up facing this 2017 NFL season.

“Yes, because I think that if he were, they would be real competition for us this year,” Jerry Jones said during the Cowboys’ annual conference call ahead of this week’s NFL Draft.

The veteran quarterback has opted to retire and heading to the CBS broadcasting network instead of continuing to play his craft in the National Football League (NFL).

Jones also added that the the 37-year-old Tony Romo’s decision couldn’t have worked out any better for the Dallas Cowboys. He noted the Dallas Cowboys‘ free agency plans also weren’t affected by the Romo’s situation on taking his time to make a final decision regarding his future.

The Houston Texans and Denver Broncos were much rumored possibilities as to where Tony Romo could land. The Dallas Cowboys designated Romo as a post-June 1 release, which splits his salary cap hit over the next couple of seasons and empties up $14 million in salary cap space for 2017, starting on June 2.

“We were in great communication all the way through,” Jerry Jones said about Romo. “I mean moments of each other at all times. We wanted the very best for him, his very best opportunities.” Jones added that when the offseason kicked off, “it was kind of option quarterback,” as to what Tony Romo could decide on his future.

With the 2017 NFL Draft scheduled to kick off on Thursday, it wasn’t lost on the Dallas Cowboys how much has changed since this time last year. Jones still often spoke of his confidence in Tony Romo’s ability to play in the league for five more season. However, Tony Romo would suffer a back injury and never start another game for the Dallas Cowboys, of course, and the new face of the franchise — the second-year quarterback Dak Prescott, a 2016 fourth-round draft pick — is the future of the franchise at center.

The Dallas Cowboys went into training camp last season thinking in mind that the order would be Romo as the starter, backup Kellen Moore and Dak Prescott. Now that Romo is gone in the picture and Moore has ultimately recovered from a season-ending injury in training camp and will backup Prescott for the upcoming season. The Dallas Cowboys will look into acquiring another quarterback through the draft process.

“We’d love to pick up at some point, through the draft or college free agency, another player to start the process with,” Dallas Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said.

Recommended Content For You

Comments
To Top